Pages

Gear Decisions...I'm Freaking Out!

Yesterday I spent the day fretting over gear. Weight, size, durability...I was obsessed, possessed, consumed, and finally depressed! I couldn't stop thinking about it! I was most concerned about what water purification method I would use. (I'm estimating my water intake at about six liters a day, which equals 900 liters of water for the entire hike.) I have two filters and a Steripen. I have also used iodine in the past and often carry it as a backup. If weight wasn't an issue I would carry my Katadyn Hiker PRO filter. I have used it for years and love it, but it weighs 11 ounces and it's too heavy for a 2,650 mile solo hike. I also have a Sawyer Squeeze, but I have had problems with it leaking! In a moment of doubt, I recently bought a Steripen ultraviolet purifier but I'm concerned about reliability, the number of batteries I'll need on such a long trip, and the possibility of needing a pre-filter for very dirty water. Iodine is great as a backup, but I'm not sure I would want to use it everyday for 5 months, and again there is the issue of a pre-filter... I'm getting a headache as I write this blog and think about it all over again.

So, after a good night's sleep, I have decided... I will start with the Sawyer Squeeze. The desert is where I will most likely need to filter dirty water and the Squeeze bags will be useful for carrying up to 8 liters of water in the dry sections. When I reach the High Sierra, I'll switch to the Steripen. There is abundance of water and I'll seldom need to carry more than a liter. If I have any problems with it, I'll switch back to the squeeze or have Eva mail me my Katadyn Hiker PRO filter. I'll always keep a few iodine tabs with me as a backup.

Hopefully most of the other gear related decisions I have to make won't be this difficult. I need to remember that gear is important, but what will make or break this trip is my attitude, commitment, and willingness to get up every day and hike!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing!