Pages

Full Disclosure

For those of you trying to keep track of my mileage, you might have noticed a gap while I was in Idyllwild. Last summer there was a wild fire in the area and there is a section of trail that is closed because the burn area is still closed. I was hoping the forest service or the PCTA would come up with an alternate way to hike around the burn area, but the only viable option to a dangerous road walk on a windy narrow mountain highway was to hitch hike into Idyllwild from Hwy 74 at mile 153 and reconnect with the PCT at mile 179 using the devil's slide trail in Humber Park. It's unfortunate, but it gives me an excuse to visit the area in the future and day hike that section.

There are three other small sections of the PCT that are closed for various reasons but there are published maps with alternate hiking routes so unless there is a forest fire this summer that effects access to the trail, I should be able to complete the rest of the adventure on foot. 

I have to say, however that hitch hiking into Idyllwild was an adventure in itself. My ride was a 1980s Toyota Van with 7 people, two dogs, and a driver with dreadlocks. After strapping our backpacks to the roof, we had a crazy ride into town. Here is a picture to give you some idea. I would have gladly hiked...

6 comments:

  1. Let the good times roll...when you can't walk! I read on Ziggy and the Bears website (where you spent the night) that the forest service is at the burn section handing out pricey tickets to through hikers who are ignoring the "Closed Trail" sign. So I'm glad you chose to ride. Keep calm, stay cool and hike on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Loren you make me laugh! I love the hitch hike vehicle and your description of what happened. I have never thought much about hiking and you certainly give me a total insight to what is happening. Just know that we are praying for you daily--especially for God's favor on you and the trail. I am sure you are having opportunities to witness as you go. Take care of yourself. I think you are close to if not past the 200 mile mark. Hike on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This van is awesome!! PLO this is so cool to see all the things you're doing and the experiences you're having :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice ride PLO! I hope you wore your seatbelt. We've really been enjoying your posts, please keep them coming. We are counting down the days until we meet up with you on the Sonora Pass. Hike on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not to brag, but Mike and I hiked from California to Nevada and back to California - all in one day! Do I have to mention that we stayed at a resort on the California side of Lake Tahoe and walked to a restaurant on the Nevada side? I think it still counts! I've been enjoying following your adventure and reading your blogs. Keep calm and hike on. -- Sharon Kantack

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love it!
    Dan J

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing!