Pages

The Desert

At ADZPCTKO we were told to be careful in the desert. They said it a bit stronger: "everything in the desert is trying to kill you!" Today we got a real taste of what the desert has to offer. Heat, pokey things, snakes, bugs, no water, and did I mention the heat? I carried 7 liters of water 10 miles to the location I am currently camped because the next reliable water is another 23 miles! (Can someone do the math and tell me how heavy that is?) It is a popular area for PCT hikers to hang out in the mid day heat, or in my case, spend the night. There are 16-20 other hikers here for the night. There is a bit of a commotion right now...a car driving on the highway less than a 1/8 mile away missed a turn and drove off in a ditch. (No one was hurt.)

The pic above is me trying to dress for the desert! I successfully avoided getting sun burned today and three of us are getting up at 4am to get 15 uphill miles done before the heat of the day. Today was the toughest day on the PCT so far. Tomorrow might top that but the next day, I'll land in Warner Springs and pick up my next resupply box and probably get my first shower and the opportunity to wash the few clothes I have.

I'm tired and sore but overall feeling good and hoping to rest well tonight. Last night the wind was blowing like crazy and I kept waking to the feeling that my tent was going to fly away! 

I have cell service here so I had a chance to talk with Eva and upload this post. I'm not sure I'll have service tomorrow. Hope everyone at The House Modesto is doing well. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

On Sunday I earned a PCT badge of honor...someone called me hiker trash. If you search my blog for a post titled: Trash Talk, you'll understand what that means.

Good night and don't let the bed bugs or scorpions bite!


4 comments:

  1. Well here goes...my first time commenting on a blog. Actually, it's my first time following a "blogger". Woo hoo! I've been reading your posts everyday and enjoying all of your stories and then I had the thought, "Unless I comment, P. Lo has no way of knowing how entertained and devoted I am to his hike." I've been praying for you. I still can't believe this is actually happening. You are living out your dream. I think I'm most envious of all that prayer and worship time you have. Well, possibly I'm more envious of your snake encounters...not! Everyone at The House is doing great and we chit-chat about you often. It's like we all personally know a "movie-star" now!

    Good night! -

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is looking like a fun trip so far! Cant imagine what its like to sleep outside under the stars & have a campfire every night! Must be a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, does anyone bring their dogs with them on the trail?? My little puppy would enjoy hiking the PCT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sent you a card to Warner. I should have mailed it sooner so I assume it will come back and I will save it for you. Greatly enjoy following your hike. Love the picture today. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing!