It's pretty basic: a small stove and pot, a large mug and a spoon. The stove pot is made of titanium so it is very light, and has a built in heat ex-changer so it is very efficient. It boils two cups of water in about 2 minutes. The fuel canister lasts for about a week if used sparingly for dinners and a few breakfasts. Also pictured is my bear canister which is required in the High Sierra. It protects my food from bears and also makes an excellent camp stool and even a bucket for washing clothes. I use the large mug for both eating and drinking. A typical breakfast is two packets of instant oatmeal with added raisins and almond slivers. After eating the oatmeal, I add a packet or two of hot chocolate and more hot water which helps me re-hydrate, gives me more calories, and cleans out my mug. A quick rinse and I am ready to go!
Sometimes I cook and eat inside my tent when the weather is bad or mosquitoes are swarming. It's not recommended because the tent could catch on fire, the stove produces carbon monoxide, and there is always the possibility of spilling (butter fingers). The other drawback of cooking and/or eating in the tent: the tent smells like food and that's not something you want in the Sierras where bears are on the prowl.
Keep calm and cook on!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for sharing!