Pages

Trail Maps

There are 455 pages of printed maps for the Pacific Crest Trail and I just finished dividing them into 26 groups for my resupply boxes. They are beautiful, color, 1:31680 scale (1 inch = 1/2 mile) topographic maps printed on 8.5 x 11 inch paper. They have mileage markers, water sources, campsites, road crossings, trail detours, alternate routes, hazards, and resupply locations noted on every page. It's crazy how much detail is included. And the best news...the maps are FREE! That's right they are free for anyone to download from the internet. There are high definition maps for printing and low resolution version for mobile devices. You can check them out here! The only cost involved is printing them. Eva had a set of maps printed as a Christmas present for me! Along with the maps there are trail notes and a water report. I don't plan on carrying paper copies of the trail notes and the water report, but I will have digital copies on my phone to refer to as needed. In addition to the above I have purchased two apps for my phone that use the phone's GPS to map my location on the trail and localize the trail notes based on my current location. It might be all but impossible to get lost on the PCT! Who said you can't enjoy technology and nature at the same time?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing!