Fear is the stories we tell ourselves
For backpackers, fear means a heavier backpack. Some hikers are afraid of the cold, so they pack too many clothes or a heavy sleeping bag. Others fear hunger, so they carry more food than they could possibly eat. Still others worry about emergencies, so they bring an enormous first aid kit. Some worry about wild animals or crazy people, so they bring pepper spray or weapons. Some fear being alone, so they pack cell phones and other devices to stay connected to the "real world." The list of things to fear in the wilderness seems endless, butt in reality, the list of essentials you need to survive is very short.. Yes, there are things that may make you more comfortable and possibly make the trip more enjoyable, but everything you add means carrying more weight, and carrying more than you need for 2,650 miles is definitely not enjoyable!
I suppose there is also a lesson here beyond hiking. While backpackers carry fear on their backs, the rest of us carry it in not so obvious ways. Fear affects the way we think and feel about ourselves, others, and the world around us. It changes the way we act and respond. If we are afraid, we don't speak up, we don't show love, we avoid new things and meeting new people, or even asking for help. The Bible tells us over and over that fear is not from God. Here is just one example: The LORD is my light and my salvation-whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life-of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1
I am not a particularly brave man, but I am learning to overcome my fears by trusting in God: to listen to Him rather than the naysayers or my own questions and doubts; to forgive, to accept a compliment, and risk being vulnerable. Sometimes I still get afraid and have to stop myself and focus on that still small voice: For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you. Isaiah 41:13 What are you afraid of? Let God set you free. He promises that nothing; not your fears, or failures, or circumstances will keep you from knowing his grace and power. He promises hope and joy and peace that cannot be explained. I have experienced this and know it to be true. Take a moment and allow God to minister to you through this song that expresses the hope and joy of God setting us free from the things that hold us back from knowing Him and being all that we can be. In Him you are free, whole and want for nothing.
I Shall Not Want by Audrey Assad

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for sharing!