Pages

Show Me The...Savings!

I'm not sure how old I was when someone told me that Santa wasn't real, but I do remember the day I was introduced to the concept of compounding interest! It was one of those moments when you hear the heavenly music, see the bright lights, and you start to tingle all over. I started saving money and I haven't stopped. It got harder when our children were born and even harder when they became teenagers, but I always found a way. Last spring when I met with the financial planner for our retirement plan through my employer, he said: "Maybe you don't need to save so much anymore. Maybe you could enjoy some of it now." (I know what you're thinking: I didn't know financial planners were even allowed to say that, but I'm telling you it's all true.) My first thought however, was: Don't tell my wife! She loves to spend money and she is really good at it!

The truth is, I don't like to spend money. I think money feels much safer in the bank. Those cash register drawers at retail stores are cold, dark, and lonely. So, I thought to myself, if I don't want to spend money, then maybe I don't need to make so much money, but what would I do if I wasn't making money? (Gasp) I know...I'll go HIKING for five months! Unfortunately, I am discovering that even hiking costs money, so when I return, I'll be going back to work, so I can afford to go hiking again, hopefully sooner than later!

I wrote this post to express, with a sense of humor, hopefully, the importance and value of saving, but saving is only a part of what it means to be a good steward. I believe a huge part of our financial success is our commitment to a modest and frugal lifestyle, always living within our means, and being generous in our giving to the Kingdom of God through our church and other charities. God has richly blessed us with good health, good careers, and opportunities to bless others. Now I have the good fortune to enjoy part of that blessing myself while I hike the PCT. Keep calm and save on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing!