Pages

Brutal Day

Wednesday, May 28th / Miles today: 22 / Total miles: 631 / Weather: Windy!


The last two days have been hard: hot, dry, and significant amounts of altitude change. I think I started today a little dehydrated, and with a 16 mile stretch without water, things went from bad to worse. It was hot, windy (like blow you over windy), there was zero shade, and lots of altitude change (3,000+ ft. up & 4,000+ ft. down). On top of all that the trail was very sandy which made every step that much harder. I hiked 22 miles but it felt like 30 and took almost as long! Suck it up buttercup! :) 

I briefly had cell service around 3pm and posted to my blog (yah) and tried to make a call, which was unsuccessful (bummer). That's probably a good thing because I might have started crying...suck it up Buttercup.

I am camped at Bird Spring Pass where there is a water cache maintained by a trail angel using a nearby dirt road. There are approximately 50 one gallon water bottles looped through the handle with rope and tied to a tree so they won't blow away when empty. There is only about 10 gallons of water and I'm guessing in a day or two that will be gone. I am forcing myself to drink lots of water to help me rehydrate and get ready for tomorrow. I have to carry enough water for 20 miles to the next water source. The drought is definitely making the desert section more challenging. Suck it up...

When I arrived here there were 6 other hikers that I have seen at rest/water stops since Monday. They are young, friendly, and hike very fast! They decided to move on soon after I arrived to tackle the 6-8 miles of solid uphill in the next section in the cool of the evening. I was in no shape to follow tonight so I'll try to get an early start tomorrow to beat the heat. It's crazy windy tonight, but I anchored my tent well and hope to get a good night's sleep. I don't have earplugs, but I have used my ear buds to drown out some of the wind once before. I'm pretty tired so maybe that won't be necessary tonight. All alone again...I thought Buttercup might make it here, but I guess I'll have to tell myself...suck it up!

It's about 8:30pm and I'm fading quickly. Thanks for reading my post. Tomorrow is going to be a better day!

Butter Fingers

2 comments:

  1. "...but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope." GUESS WHAT?? YOU DID IT BUTTERCUP!! GLORY TO GOD!!

    We LOVE you, Pastor Loren

    Tay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine how extreme some of these conditions are. Keep the faith, my friend. I'll be out there with you in a month. Until then, hike on!

    Ben

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing!