Pages

Saying Goodbye to the Desert

Monday, May 26th / Miles today: 20 / Total miles: 586

It feels like I am still in the desert. It's hot, dry, and windy and I'm camped near a wind energy farm again tonight. But from the precious reading I have done, most geologists consider the mountains north of Tehachapi and Hwy 58 as the beginning of the Sierra Nevada mountain range. Mile 700, near Kennedy Meadows Store is considered the gateway into the High Sierra. This is where I will be getting my ice axe and micro spikes for snow and also a bear canister to protect my food from black bears which can be a problem in the Sierras.

Today I hiked twenty miles even though I got a bit of a late start. I returned to the trail today after seeing Eva for two full days. It was AMAZING! She dropped me off at the trail at Hwy 58 and we took a few pictures and said our goodbyes. I'll see her again in three weeks when we meet in Mammoth Lakes. Below is a picture of Eva at the trailhead. 
I also took a picture with one of the trail signs. These are very common on the trail. This one has an easement notice which means the trail is on private property. Usually that means no camping in the area and no straying from the trail. 

I took one more picture of a curious trail sign I saw today.
It says "caution" but there was no more information so I have no idea what the danger was. None of my maps or trail guides mentioned anything out of the ordinary so I just kept moving. Maybe there were pop tart bandits in the area. That would be something to be cautious about, ha ha!

I have been hiking the PCT for a month now and I have developed a routine for hiking, eating, camping, and hygiene that makes the day go smoothly and eliminates wasted energy. I'm looking forward to four more months on the trail. One interesting thing I have noticed is that time stopped for me when I started hiking. One example of this is whenever I meet someone who is not a PCT hiker I ask about the missing airplane. It was a big deal in the news right before I began hiking but apparently it's no longer news. But I just can't stop myself from asking. For me it is still news since I don't know anything else that has happened since then. Please, someone, anyone, let me know if they find the plane so I can stop worrying about it...

Butter Fingers

5 comments:

  1. Hahaha PLO you're too funny! Yeah that is older news at this point. Nope they still haven't found the missing airplane, but they did just release some satellite data but said the plane is not in the "ping" zone, thus they have decided to discontinue the search for now. So much other stuff is going on in the world PLO, but honestly it's probably just best you not think about the chaos of the world and instead enjoy the peace of the trail :) I'm really enjoy reading your blogs, they make me laugh and I just get super stoked when I get an update that you've posted, haha. Good luck hiking the sierras butterfingers, that's gonna be super legit ;) try to take a video if you can because those are awesome too, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following along! I am having a blast! I will try to shoot some more video. Just today I captured my first audio clip. It's the sound of some bugs buzzing! You know...I also post things on Facebook, if only you were my friend, lol!

      Delete
    2. Well we only have 2 more months and then we get to become the bestest Facebook friends ever! LOL it will happen at the tail end of the journey…but the best part :) thanks for writing back, and be safe out there. Sending prayers and happy thoughts

      Delete
  2. It was great visiting with you and Eva this past weekend in Bakersfield. We can't stop wondering how Shrek is doing and would love to see a picture of him. Are you sure we can't send him some shoes?? You are an inspiration to me and my family. We think of you often, pray for you continually, and talk about Shrek ALL the time! ha ha! You're not hiking alone. We are right there with you, cheering you on the entire way. We're also here to help Eva with the "dog doors" or any other remodeling project she endeavors to complete. We've got you covered PLO - just Hike one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for meeting us and for supporting us both on this adventure. You are a blessing!

      Delete

Thank you for sharing!