Pages

Things I've Learned After 1,000 Miles

I never get tired of pop tarts or hot chocolate.
I can hike in shorts when it is freezing, but if I don't have gloves, my fingers go numb.
Put on gloves before your fingers are numb. It's hard to put them on when your can't feel your fingers and they are stiff. 
Make absolutely sure there are no other hikers around if you are too lazy to walk off the trail to pee. (Trust me, it's embarrassing, especially if it is someone of the opposite sex.)
You can't eat enough when you are hiking 20 miles a day every day. Calories are your friend. 
Sunscreen with moisturizer is amazing!
Dirt is not the enemy and it washes off easily. It is also a decent sun and/or bug protection in ample quantities.
Mosquitoes are the enemy. They can drive you crazy! Carry 100% DEET or cover yourself in mud. 
After carrying a backpack for two months, sometimes I forget it is there.
Your body can do amazing things. You can always hike one more mile.
The wilderness is to be respected, but with the right gear and experience, it is not a scary place.
I can hike alone and be happy.
Music makes me hike faster.
Take your shoes off at lunch and breaks to let your feet, socks, and shoes air out and dry...your feet will be much happier.
Lip Balm is also good for chafing...don't borrow a hiker's chap stick without asking, "where have you used this?"
Going to the bathroom in the middle of the night when it is raining is a bummer. Don't drink too much before bed.
Foods with the highest fat content are your friends on the trail. 
Hiking 1,000 miles will give you legs of steel, but your upper body looks like a wet noodle.
You can hike through snow in trail running shoes, but be prepared for some cold toes.
After hiking 25 miles in one day, going to bed at 8PM is normal. So is sleeping 10 hours.

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing!