Here is the ridge where I slept last night before pounding down over 4,000 feet to my destination. It was a very quiet night, with a gentle breeze and only a few clouds in the sky.
I'm at the Braaten's home in Belden, CA where my resupply package was mailed. The Braatens are a very nice retired couple who moved here specifically to be PCT trail angels. I arrived about 10am and I've showered, sorted my gear and food and will take a half mile walk down the highway to a campground store with a small cafe and laundry facility. I have a bed at the Braaten's home for the night and will be back on the trail first thing in the morning.
Belden is at 2,200 ft. in a narrow canyon along Hwy 70. The whole town is nothing more than a small "resort" with lodging, a small store, a restaurant and a bar (all in one building) It's hot here and there is really nothing to do other than go swimming in the North Fork of the Feather River. I have been reading, resting my feet and stretching, but a swim does sound nice...
Trains run through town day and night so it's not an ideal place to sleep. There is no AT&T cell phone service here and no wifi. I need a sign that says: "Will Work For Internet Access." Verizon is king again in Belden. I hope when I get back on the trail I'll have better luck getting service. It's funny, but when I have no phone service in town I feel more isolated then when I'm all alone in the wilderness on a ridge line with 2 bars and 3G.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for sharing!