It they made posters of trail angels, this brother and sister should be on one.
I hiked hard to get to the border of Oregon and reach Ashland by August 1st. I did it, but I was tired, hungry, dirty and ready for a short break. I had a resupply box waiting at Callahan's Lodge and was planning on getting a room there. I called them from the ridge above town and they were booked solid for a wedding and anniversary party...no room for hikers. It was a Friday night and I imagined it would be hard to find a room in Ashland. I was bummed but hiked on and met Dave on the trail. He was hiking up the trail to where he stashed his mountain bike earlier, with plans to ride down. We were talking about my adventure on the PCT and I mentioned my lack of lodging for the night and he went right to work. He called his sister, Suzie, who also lives in Ashland and asked her if she would host a PCT hiker. She had PCT hikers camp in her backyard before, but since I was alone, I got the royal treatment...a room, a bathroom-with a bath tub, and laundry. It was amazing! I walked into town for dinner, had a wonderful night's sleep, went to breakfast with both of them and then Dave gave me a ride back to the trail! It doesn't get any better than this! Thanks Dave and Suzie for a wonderful introduction to Ashland...I'll be back someday with my wife to explore more of your wonderful town.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for sharing!