I can confirm the mosquitoes are here and doing their best to test my sanity. Right now I'm safe inside my tent, protected from the bugs and the rain. There is a thunder storm over me right now and it's raining very hard. We'll see how long it lasts. Hopefully the rain helps with the existing forest fires and the lightning doesn't start any new ones.
At Hwy 140 I was also greeted by a sign stating that a section of the PCT a few miles past the highway was closed due to fire. It gave a number to call for more info so I climbed a ridge to get enough signal to call. I was told the trail was open again but to be aware that another fire closer to Crater Lake is also threatening to close the trail.
In spite of the above, I hiked 28 miles today, and I'm only 31 miles from Crater Lake. I could be there tomorrow evening, but I think I'll hike 24 miles tomorrow so I can get in early on Wednesday morning. I have a resupply box there including new shoes (thank you Eva)! They have camping, showers, laundry facilities, and a restaurant that I hear has good food.
Things are getting pretty exciting on the PCT!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for sharing!