Pages

Glen Pass-Wednesday, June 11


Today I returned to the trail after two nights in Independence. It was relaxing and good to get some rest. The PCT doesn't actually go through Independence so I had to hike 8 miles from the PCT just to get to a road/trail head and then catch a ride 13 miles into town. I used the bus to travel to a bigger town on the second day for more food and shopping options. The next week I will be hiking in the High Sierra and expect this to be very challenging and exciting. Each day I will be hiking over a high mountain pass. Some will have significant amounts of snow and ice and I'll need to plan my daily mileage so I get over the pass in the morning before the snow gets too soft and the threat of afternoon thunderstorms increases.

My hike today began by retracing my steps on the 8 mile lateral trail over Kearsarge Pass, a 11,709 ft. mountain pass to connect with the PCT again. Then I hiked over Glen Pass which is 11,946 ft., but still had lots of snow on the north side. The pictures above are the pass and me standing at the top before climbing down. I used my micro spikes and ice axe for the first time on the PCT. I was hiking with a lady from Canada named Sugar and I'm glad I was there to encourage her as we hiked over the pass. One section was very steep and we worked together; I climbed down first and she handed me both of our packs and then she climbed down.

I am camped at Upper Rae Lake and plan to hike over Pinchot Pass tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing!