Pages

On The Trail Again-Saturday, May 31


It doesn't look like it's that inviting for bathing either...I filtered a liter, just in case I needed it. 
Saturday, May 31st / Miles today: 22 / Total miles: 673 / Climbed 5,100 ft. / No cell service

Yesterday I spent the day in Ridgecrest, as a guest of a family friend named Dennis. He was a wonderful host and we had so much in common in terms of our love for the outdoors, running and mountain climbing. Thank you Dennis! You are an inspiration.

Today began at the drive through at McDonalds in Ridgecrest, and then Dennis drove me  back to Walker Pass. I had a good day and hiked further than I had planned. I met someone from the UK named Bear Salad and we are camped together tonight. Time will tell if we stick as hiking partners.

I need help! Whenever I tell people my trail name they think immediately about the candy bar. I have to explain it is because I drop things, which they get, but 30 seconds later we are back to the candy bar again. (Food is a favorite topic on the PCT.) If they have eaten a Butter Finger candy bar, they have their own opinion about it, but if they haven't, and I'm discovering many people have been deprived, they want me to describe it. I tell them it is unique...just like me, but they are not amused or satisfied. The chocolate coating is easy, but the candy center...I need help describing it; both taste and texture. Help me please! 

Tomorrow we climb to over 8,000 ft. which I think is the highest point so far on the PCT. When we reach the High Sierra we will climb over a 13,000 ft. mountain pass and several that are over 12,000 ft. 

It's 9:15, windy, dark, clear sky, and cool. I'm in my tent and getting very sleepy. Good night! 

Butter Fingers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing!