Pages

A Trail Birthday

Today I turned 52 on the trail. I'm celebrating with pop tarts, cookies, pastries, and candy bars. And that is just breakfast! Just as important as what I am eating is what is eating me...mosquitoes to be exact. I've been bitten so many times I think I have donated a pint of blood. The good news is the welts aren't too big, don't itch much, and don't last long. Maybe my body is just getting used to it.

Besides the topic of food, which is high priority on thru-hiker discussion lists, we also talk about miles hiked, and today, on my birthday, I completed 1,000 miles! 

I didn't stop too long because of the mosquitoes, but I did manage to get this picture.
Another exciting thing happened on my birthday: RAIN! The night before, I went to bed and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. I left the rain fly off my tent so I could see the stars. At 3AM I woke to rain on my face. I quickly got up in my running shorts and t-shirt and put on the rain fly. It continued to rain until almost 3PM. Below is a picture of Dorothy Lake shrouded in clouds and mist. 

I have camped there before but it was special to see it under these conditions.
I hiked to within 6 miles of Sonora Pass and camped on a ridge with dramatic views in all directions.


Overall, it was a great day! I shot some video, but I can't upload it now so you video lovers will just have to be patient.

Thanks for continuing to follow along! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing!