Pages

Wednesday, September 10 - Mile 2,541

Most thru-hikers follow a simple code: hike your own hike (HYOH). Each hiker decides how far and how fast to hike and when and where to take breaks and camp. For 2,500 miles I have followed this code. But in the north Cascades in Washington, I'm finding the hiking so challenging that the mountains, trail conditions, and weather are now making those decisions for me. I find it impossible to wake up and say to myself: I feel like a 25 mile day. I normally could complete 12 miles before stopping for lunch, but today I was only able to do nine at an agonizingly slow pace. I finished the day with 21 miles, but it took me over 13 hours to do it. It was dark when I finally stopped to camp. There was 8,100 feet of uphill hiking and 6,400 feet of downhill. Tomorrow is an important day and if I can't cover 25+ miles, I'll have a hard time keeping to my schedule. I have to reach Stehekin, WA by Friday at noon to have time to get my resupply at the post office and prepare for the final 4.5 days to Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing!