Pages

Can You Help Me?

That's what the man said with a concerned look on his face. "Can you help me? I'm lost." Sure I said and took off my backpack and pulled out my maps. He wanted to know if we were on the Pacific Crest Trail and I assured him we were. I turned on my phone to confirm it and get an exact GPS location. I assumed he was a day hiker, but he was actually a local backpacker camped at a lake and had done a day hike from the lake to explore the area. He got turned around somehow and wasn't sure what direction the lake was or how far away he was. I found the lake on the map and pointed him in the right direction, five miles back to his campsite. He would make it before dark if he hurried, but he had no time to spare. I gave him a candy bar and the rest of my water and sent him on his way. I said a short prayer for his safety and I continued north.
I understand how he got disoriented, because the trail looks like this in that section. Without my maps and GPS apps, I could have easily gotten turned around myself. When you know you are traveling north, you expect the sunrise/set and the moon to be in their proper locations. It is very confusing when the trail takes a long jog south and everything seems backwards.

I hiked 14 miles today starting from Snoqualmie Pass around 12pm. The weather was perfect, the trail was beautiful, and the views were amazing. I did a lot of climbing today and tomorrow promises more of the same. I hope to complete 24 miles tomorrow.

Keep calm and hike on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing!