Today's hike included a six mile road walk along Hwy 2 in the Angeles National Forest. It is a narrow mountain highway but in the six miles, I only saw 9 cars and one was a highway patrol car and another was a sheriff vehicle. I counted over three dozen motorcycles in the same amount of time.
The road walk was required because a section of the trail was closed to protect an endangered species of frog. The road was narrow and I kept switching sides based on which shoulder had more room, but overall I felt pretty safe. It was strange walking on pavement for an extended period of time.
I had a good day hiking and enjoyed being alone most of the day. In the morning there was a crazy steep section of trail followed by an equally steep downhill section. But overall, the trail was moderate and the only challenges were the lack of water, heat, and trying to avoid the poisonous poodle dog bush.
I am camped with the same three people as last night: Love Line, Slaughter House, and Chee Vee. We plan to hike 24+ miles tomorrow to get us within striking distance of our next resupply the following day. It will be great to get a shower and have a day to relax.
We are camped in a sandy gully with only a few trees and shrubs. I expect it to be a cool evening with almost a full moon. I decided not to set up my tent and cowboy camp out in the open. At least one person is worried about scorpions, but I think we are too high. I guess we'll see what happens. There are also quite a few bugs, but I'm thinking they will disappear as the sun goes down and the temperature drops.
I plan to get up early tomorrow, hike like a wild man until the heat of the day, find some shade to nap in in the afternoon, and finish the days hike as the sun goes down.
I think this is the biggest pine cone I have ever seen! I'd bring it home but I think it weighs 5 pounds!
I listened to the gospel of Luke today and thought a lot about chapter 19 where Jeses enters Jerusalem and the crowd of disciples proclaim him king. The Pharisees tell Jesus to rebuke the crowd, but Jeaus tells them that if the people keep quiet, the rocks will cry out. We often think about the idea of rocks crying out as if it is a negative thing; an indictment against us for not worshipping or praising God. Certainly it is our job as the crown jewel of God's creation to praise God and declare His greatness, but as I read the story, Jesus is simply stating a fact: all of creation is praising God with it's very being. The rocks cry out as do the trees of the fields, and the sun, moon, and stars. I think this is the same idea Isaiah expresses in chapter 55:12 "You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
As I continue to spend both day and night immersed in the wilderness, I am amazed at the sense of God's presence, power, and grace in the beauty of creation. It is a privilege to enjoy His handiwork and know that everything around me declares His power and love.
Butter Fingers


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for sharing!