Pages

Station Fire Burn Area

Friday, May 16th / Miles today: 23 / Total miles: 430 / Poor cell service
Today I hiked through a burn section from the Station Fire in 2009. The trail was in pretty good shape considering the devastation of the fire. There was a monument and crosses for the two fire fighters killed in the fire. It was easy to imagine the area and how hot it must have been. Most of the trees, shrubs, and ground cover burned but there are new shrubs and small trees beginning to grow out of the ashes. It will be many years before the area looks like a forest again. 

I also took a pic of one of the burned structures near Mt. Gleason. It was completely destroyed. It doesn't appear that they plan to rebuild.

I hiked about 11 miles on an abandoned road in the burn area to avoid the poodle dog bush. Below is a picture. It smells very nice and it will eventually have pretty purple flowers. But it is not something to mess with. 

Poodle dog bush causes a serious rash and there were sections of the trail today, before the road walk, where I accidentally brushed up against it with my clothes. I'm hoping my clothing will protect me or I'm not allergic to it. My experience with poison oak in the past suggests I'm not very allergic to it, so I'm hoping the same is true for poodle dog bush. 

Tomorrow there is an excellent chance l'll get a shower, which I definitely need. I also need to wash my clothes! It is 14 miles to a KOA campground and 24 miles to Agua Dulce, where I plan to stay with a trail angel. Their home is called Hiker Heaven. It's 9:30 and definitely time for a good nights sleep! 

Butter Fingers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing!