Pages

High Sierra-Tuesday, June 3

I feel so excited to have finally reached the Sierras. Tomorrow I will climb to over 10,000 ft. My pack weighs more than it ever has with the addition of a bear canister (see below), ice axe and micro spikes (for snow and ice travel), an additional shirt for cold weather and 7 days of food. (At two pounds per day, that's 14 pounds of food.) I also  carrying a larger fuel canister for my stove that will last for 7+ days. The weight is manageable and will get lighter each day as I eat the food and use the fuel. I'm also planning on fewer miles each day because of weather, snow, and the altitude in this section. 

I hiked approximately 18 miles today. I'm happy with that because of the extra weight in my pack and the altitude gain of today's hike. I'm camped above 9,700 ft., and expect it to be very cold tonight. Tomorrow there will be lots of up and down and twice I'll climb to over 10,300 ft.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing!