
It is quite an accomplishment, but I didn't have the energy to celebrate. The last three days it has rained and today it rained again while I was walking through miles of lava fields. It was hard on my feet as well as my morale. Yesterday it rained so hard and so long that I had water in my backpack that soaked into my sleeping bag and most of my clothes and gear. By the time I finished 26 miles for the day, my hands were numb from the cold and I had a hard time even setting up my tent. I was miserable sleeping in wet clothes in a wet tent in a wet sleeping bag. At my resupply today, I picked up a large trash bag to line the inside of my backpack. I hope that helps. I need to fix that problem before I reach Washington.

I was able to wash and dry my clothes, and dry my sleeping Bag and tent today, take a shower, and eat a warm meal. I arrived at Big Lake Youth Camp at 2:30pm and left at 6:30pm. What a difference 4 hours can make! After dinner I left BLYC and hiked 4 miles to a small lake and camped for the night. It looks like the weather is going to improve and I'm excited to hike again.

Three days ago something stung/bit my right leg just below my calf. It was crazy painful but I was hiking on an exposed ridge in a thunder storm and couldn't afford to stop for very long to investigate. It burned, itched, and swelled up, but the worst is over now. I used a steroid cream my doctor gave me and it really seems to have reduced the symptoms. I never figured out what bit/stung me.
I'm one week away from reaching the border of Washington! After that it's just three weeks to Canada. Already dreaming about coming home!
Added the next morning: I woke up at 4am to my 4th day of rain...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for sharing!