When I resupplied at Mazama Village in Crater Lake National Park, I was walking through the campground after lunch at the restaurant and observed a young boy, maybe 9 or 10 years old riding a bicycle through the campground. The bike was too big for his small size, but he rode it with a sense of authority and I could see a look of wonder and joy on his face as he peddled through the dusty campground. I imagine that to this young boy, riding in the campground felt like a grand adventure, exploring each section for the first time, venturing further and further from his campsite until he had explored the entire area.
It was the look of joy and wonder on his face that made me think, that's how I feel hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. I feel like a young boy on a grand adventure, experiencing the wilderness for the first time, seeing new people, places and things. Being challenged physically and emotionally, and feeling the pride of accomplishment.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for sharing!