Pages

The Last Box by Eva


Life is short and we have never to much time
for gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling
the dark journey with us. 
Oh be swift to love, make haste to be kind.
Henri Frederic Amiel

Today I packed the last resupply box I will be sending Loren. It is going to Stehekin, Washington and will contain what he needs for the last 5 days of his journey. Along with 5 days worth of breakfasts, lunches and dinners, it also includes maps of the section he will be hiking, batteries to use in his iphone recharger, a butane/propane canister to make hot water, vitamins, IBU, 1/2 a roll of toilet paper, a new toothbrush and travel sized toothpaste, some cash and 5 Q-tips. 
I've really enjoyed my role as Base Camp Manager. It's allowed me to experience the trail in a unique way. I asked Loren recently how hikers without support get everything they need. Some trail stops have small grocery or travel stop type of stores where they can resupply. But many have only small post offices with no options for purchasing food or other items. In these cases, non-supported backpackers must constantly plan ahead by purchasing the food they need immediately, as well as buying food to prepare a package to mail ahead to themselves at destinations with no other options. This really gets tricky, especially when one of your needs is 5 Q-tips. I hear you asking, "What does a backpacker do when you have to buy 25 Q-tips even though you only need 5?" I'm not sure if Loren has mentioned this in prior blogs, but most major resupply stops also have a "Hiker Box." This is another way that hikers help each other on the trail while wasting nothing. When you have next to nothing, wastefulness is not an option. 
Now, as I schedule out a day to run this last resupply box to the only post office that doesn't give me grief over the butane/propane canister inside the box, I also get to plan my last job as Base Camp Manager- bringing Loren home. My plan at this point is to meet him at Manning Park, British Colombia on September 17. You can bet there will be lots of hugs and kisses included at that stop. And yes, I'll add one from each of you.  XOXO for all of you who have joined us on this incredible journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing!