Pages

Washington Weather

Since leaving White Pass a day and a half  ago, it has been cold, rainy, windy, foggy, and generally miserable. In spite of that I have covered 40 miles and I am still on track to reach Snoqualmie Pass September 3rd in the early afternoon. I plan to spend the night there and do a full resupply.

With all the rain and moisture in general, my shoes, socks and feet have been soaking wet. This morning was very cold and it was especially painful to hike with cold wet feet. I thought about stopping but I wasn't sure if anything short of setting up my tent and getting inside would allow me to dry and warm my feet. By noon it was slightly warmer, I was feeling better and I completed 24 miles by 6:30pm. Trail running shoes might not be the greatest footwear for Washington, but I've come this far in them so I'll tough it out. When there is no sun, I dry my wet socks and gloves by putting them in my sleeping bag with me. They are cold as ice packs at first, but they warm up and my body heat dries them out for the next day. The weather is supposed to improve tomorrow.

I'm camped just past a small spring where I filled up my water bottles for dinner and tomorrow's breakfast. Right now, at 8pm, I am inside my sleeping bag, inside my tent, and the wind is blowing hard outside. I've eaten dinner, sorted my food for breakfast and lunch tomorrow, brushed my teeth and I'm ready for bed. 326 miles to Canada! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing!